Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Final thoughts...


This has been an interesting process of discovery and self-reflection as I journeyed through this course. Learning about what is possible through the use of technology has been extraordinary! There is a whole world out there that I didn't know existed. It seems as though the only thing that limits our abilities is our own imagination.

And this is the scary part to me. The lack of imagination and the will to do something about it. Just to remind myself what is possible through assistive technology I've posted the following link:



It was good to see the presentations and have the hands-on activities with the various devices and programs. Although it was a little taste, it helped to broaden my awareness and increase the desire in me to learn more. And the central message with the devices, "think task analysis" was not lost on me. This message will be useful to take back to my classroom in the fall. Thinking about what it is that I want from my students and what do they need to get there should be the focus rather than being overwhelmed by the content of the curriculum.

Until now I hadn't really thought of working in a Learning Centre because I felt ill-equipped to work with special needs students. For those that know me, that may seem odd given my connections with a L'Arche community. However, I was concerned that empathy and a belief that there is more out there for people was not enough. Having seen the potential of assistive technology devices has opened my heart and my mind.

I'll keep you all posted as to where I'm headed in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment